Make 20,000 people happy
Being on staff at Ohayocon is like joining a new family: we work together, we eat together, we hang out together. We’re sure you’ll have a lot of fun working with us. And even though it’s work, it feels like a vacation to us because we are always excited for Ohayocon. Interested? We thought so.
It takes the right kind of person to be convention staff. We will expect you to show empathy, be warm and friendly, enforce all the rules, and put in at least 25 scheduled hours of work over the weekend. Easy, right?
- be at least 18 years old
- have successfully completed at least two years volunteering at the Kohai level (or equivalent at other cons)
- If you are a staff member of another con, that experience might substitute for this requirement.
- If you have an associate’s degree or higher, you may be able to skip this qualification to help us prepare in the months before the show.
- be able to travel to and from Ohayocon independently
- pass a background check
Good qualities to have:
- humility, warmth, optimism, and the desire to be successful
- insatiable initiative
- strong ability to identify and solve problems
- a level head under pressure
- fluency in more than one language (ASL definitely counts)
- ten catered meals, including two major staff dinners and Sunday Smorgasbord
- three nights in a nice hotel room with fellow staff members
- a weekend badge to enjoy when you’re off the clock
- a convention staff T-shirt
- opportunities for promotion based on experience and seniority
Sound good? The application will be available Summer 2018.