The Customer Service Associate serves customers and volunteers by solving individuals’ customer service queries with warmth, friendliness, and respect; by providing accurate information; by advising leaders on various decisions; and by advocating for our customers’ wants and concerns to leaders. The associate will collaborate with peers, trainees, and leaders to achieve department goals. Associates report to the Customer Service Department management team generally, and to the On-site Customer Service Manager directly. Some associates will work more closely with another department manager when doing work that supports such manager’s objectives.
The mission for all members of the Customer Service Department is to serve our customers and colleagues efficiently and effectively, with friendliness, enthusiasm, patience, and respect; to solve problems, to provide accurate information, to use customer-contact experiences to advise Ohayocon leaders on various decisions, and to advocate for our customers’ wants and concerns to Ohayocon. All people should be treated equally, without regard to race, religion, age, sex, color, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, or any other protected quality.
- Prepare and operate an assigned on-site customer service desk under the direction of one or more supervisors. Help each person who visits the desk in a warm, friendly, accurate, and respectful manner. Answer general knowledge questions about the convention and venue, using all available resources such as the program, event schedule, website, and official smartphone apps. Learn the layout of the convention and provide accurate and concise directions when asked. Follow standards and procedures developed for staff members who communicate with customers in-person to achieve Customer Service department goals. Work during assigned shifts, completing at minimum the associate’s quota-hours of scheduled service. (80%)
- Load in, set up, tear down, and load out all department equipment under the direction of one or more supervisors. (10%)
- Complete all required documentation during assigned shifts. (5%)
- Recognize technological and supply needs and communicate them to supervisors. (<5%)
- Perform other duties as assigned. (<5%)
While this position has no direct or indirect reports, Customer Service Associates must act as positive role-models for other peers and trainees.
Department: continuous contact with peers to collaboratively achieve immediate operating results; frequent contact with department managers to receive instructions, solve problems, and advise on future management decisions; occasional contact with the department head to confirm status, solve problems, and advise on future direction.
Ohayocon: regular contact with members of other departments to solve problems, exchange information, and to request assistance on behalf of customers; infrequent contact with the division director to confirm status and advise on future direction.
External: rare contact with venue employees to politely and non-expectantly request assistance on behalf of customers.
Customers: continuous contact with customers to answer questions, offer directions, solve problems, and receive comments and concerns for documentation and transmission to leaders.
Event experience: 1+ years of customer service or related experience at anime, gaming, pop culture, or similar conventions or events. Prior experience in the Ohayocon Kohai Program or as a “gopher” preferred without previous “staff” experience, though we will accept anyone who demonstrates initiative and ability to learn.
Career experience: 1+ years of customer service, retail, hospitality, or related work experience highly preferred. (This is more preferred than event experience.)
Education and licensure: high school diploma or equivalent required.
Passage of a criminal background check is required for all volunteer staff positions at Ohayocon.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including communicating with customers and coworkers in a warm and friendly manner.
- Ability to effectively work with diverse populations.
- Creativity and energy highly valued. Ability to create and identify solutions using tools rather than uncritically relying on solutions previously implemented.
- Ability and willingness to work proactively, rather than waiting until the last minute.
- Ability to analyze situations and document actions and thoughts about them.
- Ability to write concisely and legibly, with a minimum of spelling and grammatic errors.
- Ability to understand and perform tasks assigned verbally and in writing.
- Ability to research and read print and electronic material.
- Ability to independently use computers and mobile telecommunication devices.
- Ability and willingness to use electronic communication services to attend meetings, conduct business, and communicate with staff and customers.
- Ability to attend all meetings (physical or remote) and the annual convention.
- Understanding of or ability to learn customer service best practices.
- Understanding of or ability to learn computer software.
- Understanding of or ability to learn how to operate freight elevators.
Continuously sit in a chair for the duration of a shift, except when performing other assigned or expected duties. Frequently stand and walk up to several thousand yards in the course of a day. Occasionally lift up to 50lbs, occasionally pull or push up to 150 lbs using a hand truck or cart. Occasionally climb stairs. Occasionally use a telecommunication device. Rarely travel up to 300 miles in one trip. During the annual convention, continuously work in space filled with large crowds of people; occasionally work both inside and outside in winter weather conditions.
Must remain on-call at the convention from Thursday afternoon through Sunday evening. Meetings are typically held on Wednesday evenings. Volunteers in this position must be in either the 15-hour General Staff or 25-hour General Staff benefits levels.
Ohayocon is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to all volunteer staff. If you would like to speak about accessibility services at Ohayocon, please contact us.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org