- Safety guidelines
- Per the COVID-19 rules, you must wear a mask at all times. There will be no exceptions to this rule, medical or otherwise, for the safety of our staff and dancers.
- Participating in dancing will require freedom of movement for anything you choose to wear.
- However you choose to move, your ensemble should stay attached. Utilize those safety pins!
- Tidy appearance guidelines
- No matter what you choose to wear, please keep the image of a “formal” night out in mind.
- Whatever you wear, ensure there is no slippage.
- Bottoms must be no shorter than mid thigh or a few inches above the knee. Think: does this reach the bottom of my fingertips?
- Slits must not show anything inappropriate.
- No mesh or sheer materials in inappropriate areas.
- No extremely low cut or plunging necklines. When in doubt, test to make sure your neckline is well-fitting at all times as you move without a possibility of slippage. Think: a neckline that would not require the use of double-sided tape.
- Strapless tops are permitted as long as they are well fitting.
- Avoid or bustle trains on dresses as they can be stepped on.
- Jeans and cargo pants are not permitted.
- T-shirts and tank tops are not permitted.
- Undergarments should not be visible.
- Avoid trains on dresses as they can be stepped on.
- The flooring for this event may be mostly carpet, so please plan accordingly.
- The following are considered appropriate formal footwear: dress sandals, pumps, flats, boots without thick or scuff-making soles, high heels, and dress shoes. Please make sure the footwear does not come off when dancing, or wear shoes with a strap or ties.
- Sneakers, tennis shoes, outdoor sandals, combat boots, and flip flops are not allowed.
- Stiletto or platform heels are STRONGLY discouraged.
- If you have medical restrictions on footwear or movement, please contact email@example.com as soon as you can to discuss options.
- You are not required to cosplay at this event, but we do love to see them!
- Cosplay must follow the dress code as listed above. If a fictional or nonfictional character wears an outfit that “almost but not quite” follows the guidelines (a character that wears a tuxedo with tennis shoes), the cosplay must be modified until it meets the dress code. If you are unsure whether it meets the guidelines or if you need suggestions on how to modify your cosplay, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- No props that will get in the way. This includes swords, wings, staffs, tails, horns, hats, or guns. This also includes full-body armor.
- Whole-head latex masks will not be permitted on the dance floor for the safety of all dancers. You may be admitted to the event, but unless you remove the whole-head mask, you will be asked to leave the dance floor.
- Eye patches over one eye are permitted as long as the other eye is unobscured and has peripheral view.
- Body paint and face paint must be sealed.
- If wearing a wig, please be sure to keep it secure with hair pins, bobby pins, or a velvet band for safety purposes.
- Japanese clothing, Lolita, and other cultural formal wear is also welcome as long as it meets the guidelines above.
- Dress Military Uniforms are welcome as long as they are formal Military Uniforms.
- Fursuits will be permitted if attire is dressed over the fur suit and follows all of the above rules. (For example, a fox fursuiter has a gown or tux over the fursuit that matches the formal guidelines.) Heads will only be permitted during photo opportunities as we must be able to see that you are wearing your required face mask.
- The only rule that will be waived is the no shoe rule.
- It is highly recommended that if you wish to dance, you should dance with a handler or have your handler nearby if your headwear restricts your vision in any way.
- The dress code will be relaxed for the final half hour of the Fantasy Ball, aka Casual Half-Hour. It is from 10:30pm to 11pm.
- Tennis shoes, sneakers, and trainers will be permitted.
- Dressy jeans and khakis will be permitted in addition to dress pants.
- Polo shirts will be permitted.
- More casual military uniforms will be permitted.
- Other portions of the dress code will be unchanged and remain in effect for Casual Half-Hour.
- Changing your attire after you enter with approved attire is not permitted.
- No obscene graphics, including “parody” images, are permitted on any item of clothing.
- Decisions made by staff are final.