Share your passion!
Are you an expert geek? A notorious nerd? You can shine at Ohayocon! We depend on volunteer panelists to discuss anime- and geek-related topics and be the first source of entertainment our attendees turn to. We’re looking for the best in local panelists and can’t wait to see what you have to offer.
What are Ohayocon attendees interested in?
Ohayogoers come in all interests and passions and our panel variety aims to please! Surveys and feedback tell us that entertainment panels should make their sides split, educational panels should dive deep and explore advanced subjects, fandom panels should encourage discussion, and all panels should be interactive and fun. We welcome both Eastern and Western subjects, but anime, gaming, and Japanese culture will always be at the heart of our schedule.
What subjects are Ohayocon looking for?
For 2022, we’re hoping to see more specific subjects in our applications:
- Mythological Creatures (this year’s theme) – Anything and everything that covers the mystical creatures that we have come up with over the millennia.
- Industry Experience – As always, we love to hear from experts about.. well, everything! If you have unique or interesting perspectives in any Anime Industry, let us know!
- Japanese History & Culture – Modern or classic, we want more panels about this beloved island nation
- Movement Panels – The Pandemic left us without much space or room to move around, so let’s make up for lost time!
- Advanced Education – Informational panels should dig deep or explore specific subjects inside the fandom.
- Recent Anime – less than 5 years old – There’s not nearly enough love for newer anime, please love it more!
These are not the only panel subjects we’re accepting of course, but panels with these subjects are requested and not submitted often enough. Please submit whatever subjects you love and are close to your heart!
What’s the application process like?
After submitting your application to us, submissions will close November 27th, 2021. The panel team will send out confirmation emails before December 11th and at that point, we can start the scheduling process.
Compensation for 2022!
You should purchase your badge for the convention through our online portal. Any compensation will be in the form of a refund to that initial purchase, and it will be returned to the card used to purchase the badge in the panelist’s name.
- Up to three panelists per group can qualify for a sliding-scale reimbursement based off of how much content you have provided to the convention.
- 1 approved panel will get 1/3 of a badge price in refund
- 2 panels will get 2/3 of a badge refund
- 3 or more panels will get one full badge compensated. This applies to all Panelists that are on the panel, up to three.
What should panelists expect at the con?
Accepted panelists will receive specific details about panelist check-in before the con, and you will have to let us know that you are online via Discord at least 1 hour before each panel. You are responsible for your own technology needs. You will log into the voice chat room assigned to you before your panel, so you can test anything you need to before your panel. We will have a staff member in each chat room to assist, as well as to moderate the room.
What are Featured Panelists?
Every year, we reach out to exceptional panelists with proven performance at our or other conventions and ask for specific content in exchange for comped badges, advanced promotion, preferred scheduling, and other perks only they will find out about. Wow the audience, impress the staff, and you might get an invite for the following year.
If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com.